Re: What so special about PostgreSQL and other RDBMS?

From: Buck Nuggets <bucknuggets_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 8 May 2004 07:03:50 -0700

"Mookstah" <dont_spam_my_at_mailbox.com> wrote in message news:<409bb687$1_at_news.bezeqint.net>...

> As Dave here said, most of the application around don't need more than what
> PostgreSQL or MySQL gives.
> MySQL as i see it has a better future, and i wouldn't bet on an application
> with unknown future.

Ah, the typical small database might be easily handled by either of the above. However, I still wouldn't recommend MySQL: portability between mysql & any other database is hampered by their non-ansi sql, their lack of basic sql features results in bizarre application code, and their amazing exception handling problems means that quality errors should be considered the norm - not the exception.

And yeah - it does have a pretty bright future. But by the time they completely rewrite the engine to handle basic sql, transactions, etc - it'll be a completely different product.

buck Received on Sat May 08 2004 - 09:03:50 CDT