Re: 10g or 9.2?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 16:46:55 -0700

Tim Smith wrote:

> Hi,
> Our small business uses 8.0.5 Standard Edition for 20-60 user
> applications. Lots of stored procedures, Powerbuilder 6.5, MS .Net
> 1.1. We would like to upgrade to a new version and are deciding
> between 9i or 10g.
> If we go with 10g then we are offered RAC free with Standard
> Edition otherwise we must upgrade to Enterprise Edition in 9.2. That
> appears to be the main benefit of 10.2
>
> 10.2 is 2 months out of beta and 9.2 will be supported until (very
> rough sales estimate 2009).
>
> Some developers wish to go to 10g so they dont need to upgrade
> again for a while. One DBA thinks 10g is too new. One DBA thinks RAC
> is easy. I recall Oracle Parallel Server was a bear and I am not sure
> what benefits RAC will give us with our small 2 node dual CPU server
> which already has interfaces/webapplications on the non-Oracle node.
>
> If it takes 9 months to migrate, 10g will be out for 11 months. Are
> they are reasons not to go directly to 10g?
>
> Tim

Your understanding of the main benefits of 10g is seriously out of synch. with Oracle's impression and mine. RAC has almost nothing to do with 10g as compared with 9i.

Go with a 10g license and begin by implementing 9i (work that out with your salesperson). Then upgrade to 10g when the first patch is released.

And please, if you do decide to use RAC, learn far more about it before you do or you will ... like so many before you ... make a big mess and then likely think the problem is Oracle's.

BTW: Be happy to answer specific questions for you off-line.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu