Re: Oracle Magazine Blooper

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 14:44:10 -0700

Rob C wrote:
> If you have the May/June issue turn to p18
> or here: http://otn.oracle.com/oramag/oracle/04-may/o34briefs.html
>
> Have a look at the "sample code - Condition-based column in query"
> and try to have a laugh.
>
> man, talking about blissful ignorance.......

I've avoided commenting on things in Oracle magazine ... but I often use its articles as demos of bad coding practices for my classes at the university.

One of my favorites, and I'm not picking on Steve Feuerstein is as follows:

May/June issue page 9: Item titled 'Closing Time' states ... "... I am very surprised about the coding examples. ...."

To which Steve replied acknowledging the code could have been better.

A quick look, however, at the original code indicates a far more egregious problem ... insert and update statements in a loop with no commit.

The problem often though is not the author's but rather some editor trying to save a line. But still, all-in-all, some tighter QA would be in order.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu