Re: What so special about PostgreSQL and other RDBMS?

From: Mookstah <dont_spam_my_at_mailbox.com>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 19:18:16 +0200

> > Care to disagree? Fine. Provide the names of 5 major commercial
> > installations of PostgreSQL.
>
> Here's a newsflash for alot of DBA's. Most applications _do not_
> need a database as powerfull as Oracle. Like it or not I would bet a
> few apps could get by with flat files. (I'm half joking...)
>
> I've been a DBA for about 8 years and its rare for a company to use
> the advanced features of Oracle. Advanced Queueing, Replication (in
> all its forms), RAC, flashback query, VPD, etc. etc. In all honesty
> how often are these features used? I worked in a dev. shop once
> where they were prepared to spend 6 months developing a feature that
> could easily be handled by Oracle. Their reasoning was that they
> didn't want to get tied into a particular database.
>
> Now, i'm not a big fan of mysql... The gotchas link someone else
> posted in this thread says it all but I think postgresql is a good for
> small-mid sized apps. It has alot of features that mysql is missing.
> Now, would I use it for my production financials system? Ummm no, but
> I would use it for the corporate employee timesheet system. For
> critical applications I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Oracle, in some
> cases maybe even SQLServer but there is room for opensource databases.

As Dave here said, most of the application around don't need more than what PostgreSQL or MySQL gives.
MySQL as i see it has a better future, and i wouldn't bet on an application with unknown future.
It sounds the same way microsoft staff talks about linux... (or ignore it...)
Linux is open source and google runs on it. so fucking what?
Wonder why would a tiny company like SAP would be interested in MySQL engine?
follow up :
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/4715 Received on Fri May 07 2004 - 12:18:16 CDT