Re: ER question

From: bcjm <oldcar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 7 May 2004 05:07:57 -0700

> The entity DEPT has a department head as one of its attributes. So the
> department head should be a column in the DEPT table. Since that
> department head is also an employee, you will most likely want a FK
> relationship between the dept head column in DEPT and the EMP_ID column
> of the EMP table.
>
> HTH,
> Brian
>

> --

If you implement this way then you create a circular relationship, dept references emp and emp also references dept. Isn't that is what we try to avoid? Besides, you can't enforce the emp_id (department head) in the dept table is one of the emp in the same department. Received on Fri May 07 2004 - 07:07:57 CDT