Re: Backup trends (2): HOT or COLD

From: Norman Dunbar <norman.dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: 7 May 2004 01:05:51 -0700

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<409a8178$0$441$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> Norman Dunbar wrote:
>
> > All I need now is Howard to tell me I'm wrong again :o)
>
> No, you are spot on. It's a bugbear I've had ever since I first
> discovered the EMPTY_BLOCKS column in DBA_TABLES. That should have been
> called "NEVER_USED", not EMPTY. And it's because it's there that RMAN
> does precisely what you describe it doing.
>
> VIRGIN_BLOCKS sounds a lot, er, sexier. But it would upset a large
> number of the user base, I think.

Phew :o)

> Regards
> HJR

> (Been missing you, actually, and was thinking about putting up a
> 'Where's Norman' post. Are you available for email??)

I've been missing me as well. I was made redundant from the email address I use for posting here - saves on spam - and was out of work for 3 months. I'm now at a Bank sorting out some 'off shore' work. Interesting coding standards, database design (I should have used quotes around design) etc etc. I've been here since December and as they seem to like me, I keep getting new contracts !

I'll drop you an email to Dizwell - unless that is a spam trap - and let you know where I am.

At work, I'm behind the firewall from hell which actually stops me from accessing the databases I need to look after, use most of the internet, receive news, use web mail. Google, thankfully, is not affected - unless I try to translate a page when I get told off by the Web Police program. I can't download anyhting over 5 Mb in size - so no patch kits, hence 9.2.0.1 :o)

Cheers,
Norm. Received on Fri May 07 2004 - 03:05:51 CDT