Re: Database (and other) training

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 11:34:47 +1000

Swiego wrote:

> Any thoughts? What training patterns or structures work? What
> political issues (i.e. measuring the "unmeasurable" in order to have
> ROI numbers to justify the overhead cost) exist and what are some
> strategies to maneuver past them? Are we alone as a shop that puts
> the burden of technical training (even for non-DBAs) on the DBAs? If
> not, any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!
>
> Swiego

Crikey. When you've finally worked that little lot out, it would probably have been cheaper to send the entire team off to attend Oracle University DBA training courses. In the Bahamas. First class.

The serious point is that I can't get excited about justifying the costs of technical training. If they need it, they need it and the need is usually obvious. And it's something that helps you retain staff if your organisation offers it, without hassles, to anyone that requests it.

Regards
HJR Received on Thu May 06 2004 - 20:34:47 CDT