Re: Index management

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 6 May 2004 16:01:25 -0700

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<409a7d5e$0$32558$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> Niall Litchfield wrote:
>

> > On the other hand naming quotes lends credence to the fact that these ideas
> > *are* real and are in circulation.
>
> Kowing certain of those authors' propensity to fire off "I'll be suing
> you" emails at the drop of a hat (and never quite managing to actually
> do so), I thought it was a bit brave of Richard, too, actually. But if
> they didn't have names attached, you'd never believe they were ever
> really uttered, but were just some horrors Richard had knocked up
> himself -precisely as you suggest here. It is also educational to know
> which Oracle "experts" are best avoided.
>
> So in the end, I thought what he did was necessary and appropriate.

Beyond necessary. References are a prerequisite for academic veracity.

Still not convinced that a few inaccuracies cast doubt on an entire body of work. But agree that reproducible test cases are much better than bald assertions. But am also concerned that not everything in a complex system is reproducible or testable.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Be seeing you!  http://www.retroweb.com/prisoner.html