Explain plan help

From: Chuck <chuckh_nospam_at_softhome.net>
Date: 6 May 2004 15:21:42 GMT

I have the following showing up in an explain plan. There's not much good documentation on the FILTER operation. Can someone tell me exactly how this filter is getting it's results? Is it joining the two tables? If so is it a hash join, sort/merge, or is it as I suspect doing a nested loops, scanning table B for every row in table A?

FILTER

    	TABLE ACCESS FULL    	B    	rows=300m
    	TABLE ACCESS FULL    	A    	rows=13k

The actual DML looks like this. I am trying to force a hash join with FTS on both tables but I don't think it's working.

UPDATE /*+ use_hash(olm_report_perform_to_category) full (OLM_REPORT_PERFORM_TO_CATEGORY) */

        olm_report_perform_to_category
     SET call_type_ind = 'Y'
 WHERE EXISTS
     (SELECT * FROM olm_report_scorecard score
         WHERE
             olm_report_perform_to_category.scorecard_id =
score.scorecard_id
             AND olm_report_perform_to_category.category_id =
score.category_id )
 AND record_complete_ind = 'N';
--
Chuck