Re: RAC for Reporting...!

From: Matt <mccmx_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 6 May 2004 07:33:30 -0700

> On the other hand, you've mentioned a couple of times the desire for
> synchronous transport of data, and that rather makes me suspect that
> your business rules are changing such that out-of-date reporting is
> becoming no longer acceptable. Are they? Or is it just a 'would like'
> rather than a 'must have'.
>
> Regards
> HJR
Thanks for the feedback....

Unfortunately the need for up-to-date reporting data has become much more of a requirement and the pressure is on to devise a solution to this issue. This rules out Data Guard (at least physical standby).

I have had a rethink.... An easier solution would probably be the following:

Set up a Primary/Standby RAC (i.e. Active/Passive).. This will avoid the potential problems of cache fusion (performance and admin) while at the same time providing a HA solution which doesn't incur data loss or downtime (or at least minimises them).

In order to handle the reporting queries, create materialised views for the main hitters (heavy SQL) and enable query re-write to avoid the query overhead on the OLTP users.

I can configure these Mat Views for 'on demand' refresh (scheduled nightly) and then give certain 'super' users the ability to refresh these at suitable intervals if they need up to the minute data.

Only problem I have now is working out the exact limitations of Mat Views in 9i. I have tried created some for my existing queries in 8i and they don't allow query re-write with the expressions I have used. So I need to prove that they will work in v9.2 and if so, the solution looks like a goer.

The best part of this solution is that the users won't need to be re-directed to the standby for queries (which would be a real nightmare in our environment) and also the queries don't need to be changed because Mat Views are transaparant to the users.

What do you think..?

Thanks again..

Matt Received on Thu May 06 2004 - 09:33:30 CDT