Re: Maybe we did some good here....

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_tbigpond.nospam.com>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 13:19:48 GMT

"Ed Stevens" <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote in message news:ohck90t98ur95mhgt654i87eo0bomr5iq9_at_4ax.com...

> I haven't noticed any recent degradation, but probably because I gave
> up posting questions to the forums long, long ago. Even then I found
> that (1) my post wouldn't be responded to for several days ---- if at
> all, (2) the respondent obviously did not read all of the facts I
> presented, leading to (3) the quality of the response often bordered
> on worthless. I still rely on MetaLink searches, but I find that when
> the results lead to forum entries, I observe that others also
> experience (1), (2), and (3) and that this has been a consistent
> pattern since day one. It appears to me that Oracle never intended
> for the forums to be an official support channel but simply a medium
> for customer self-support.

Hi Ed,

My issue with it all is that if Oracle do respond to questions on the forum, then they need to be very careful of what they say and recommend as the perception by many is that if it comes from Oracle support, it must be true. Unfortunately a lot of what is said is not true and so these damn myths keeping spreading. There really needs to be a consistent and clearly defined approach by Oracle with regard to the Metalink forums with perhaps a more visible disclaimer along the lines of "I only work for Oracle and what I say is just as likely to be totally wrong as the next person (or more so if that next person is Jonathan Lewis)" or some such.

Cheers

Richard Received on Thu May 06 2004 - 08:19:48 CDT