Re: Maybe we did some good here....

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 21:32:11 +0100

"Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_tbigpond.nospam.com> wrote in message news:0X6mc.21756$TT.6559_at_news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> "Mark Townsend" <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Richard Foote wrote:
> >

> > > So I guess my question (now that I know everything is being read) is
has
> > > there been a decision to not support these forums as they were
> previously
> > > and is the implicit obligation for someone at Oracle to respond to
> questions
> > > raised in these forums no longer applicable ?
> > >
> > It's the other way around. I don't think there is an implicit obligation
> > for someone at Oracle to respond to questions raised in this forum.
> > These public forums were never explicitly supported by Oracle, so any
> > answers you get from Oracle people has always been largely on their own
> > initiative (and time). As to why individual contributors are no longer
> > as active as before - I think you would have to ask them all
> individually.
> >

> That's not how it was during my time at Oracle. Support people were
assigned
> to the forums and had responsibility for chasing up responses, closing
> threads, etc. *Every Thread* was responded to by someone from Oracle
> Support. Look at the history, it was still like that until very recently.
>
> I've also got some correspondence from Oracle Support staff apologising
for
> some of the stuff they've come back with, admitting they know little about
> what they've said, but are managed by the "powers that be" ...
>
> In summary, my response is "I don't think so ...."

Ummm. It would seem to me that I could explain Mark's response by assuming that by *these* forums he was referring to c.d.o.s etc whereas I take it that you are referring to the Metalink forums. ISTM that the metalink forums (fora?) used to have better quality input from oracle corp and the public newsgroups - er didn't.

As for an MVP equivalent - of course Oracle Corp could do it, and I for one think it would be a fine idea, it just requires recognition on the part of Oracle that such 'status' would be valuable to Oracle as well as the community. .

cheers

Niall Received on Wed May 05 2004 - 15:32:11 CDT