Re: STATSPACK Report Accuracy???

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 19:03:59 +0000 (UTC)

Statspack is simply reading v$filestat,
and v$filestat (and v$tempstat) can
acquire meaningless timing results.

Generally, anything which results in async, or pseudo async activity can lead to
ridiculous times in in v$filestat. (e.g. multiple db writers, Oracle I/O slaves,
O/S async I/O). On occasion I have
seen timing results where the I/O time
seemed to be proportional to the file id.

If you want to cross check, look at the
values (particularly the max wait time)
on v$system_event/v$session_event for
event "db file sequential read". For some odd reason, these seem to be realistic even when the times on v$filestat are insane.

If you want to take regular snapshots, you can use dbms_system.kcfrms to reset the
max times.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Optimising Oracle Seminar - latest dates