Re: oracle scan log script

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 5 May 2004 11:25:47 -0700

tpreto7_at_sapo.pt (Teresa) wrote in message news:<6dabc692.0405041640.4b578285_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hello and Thank you
>
> I'm only looking for a general unix script that can scan the oracle
> alert.log file for any kind of oracle error's. For the output it
> would be an email whenever there is something 'odd' writte to the log.
>

> Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote in message news:<i12f901298hp6tsb7h8h51sq5fel6ofrff_at_4ax.com>...
> > On 30 Apr 2004 19:50:13 -0700, tpreto7_at_sapo.pt (Teresa) wrote:
> >
> > >Hello
> > >
> > >Does any one have a general script that scans the oracle logs? I'm
> > >looking for a script that can scan the alert.log etc
> > >Thanks!
> > >Teresa
> >
> > While my first reply does give you a one-line script that scans the
> > alert log, I should have asked for more info . .
> >
> > First off ... what operating system?
> >
> > Second, what is it you're scanning for? How do you anticipate using
> > this script? How do you plan on using the output?
> >
> > Most important -- what is the real problem you're trying to solve?

Teresa,

This sounds like a solved problem.
As Ed indicates, you likely don't need to write something from scratch. It would make sense that others have already conquered this problem. Why not build on the shoulders of giants and move onto more interesting problems?

Try here:

O'Reilly: Perl for Oracle DBAs, Andy Duncan, Jared Still. http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/oracleperl/ http://www.bookpool.com/.x/SSSSSSOREI/sm/0596002106

Toolkit download:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/oracleperl/pdbatoolkit/

Jared Still runs the ORACLE_L list at freelists.org. Andy Duncan is the co-author of the text "Oracle and Open Source". http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/oracleopen/

hth.

Pd Received on Wed May 05 2004 - 13:25:47 CDT