Re: STATSPACK Report Accuracy???

From: Charles <cdavis10717_at_comcast.net>
Date: 5 May 2004 11:07:35 -0700

"Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_tbigpond.nospam.com> wrote in message news:<dB6mc.21734$TT.3828_at_news-server.bigpond.net.au>...
> "Charles Davis" <cdavis10717_at_comcast.net> wrote in message
> > When running STATSPACK reports I see some Datafile I/O Avg Read Times of
> > 10's of thousands of ms. Such as 85,000 Avg Read Times in millisenconds.
> > Wow!!
> >
> > Is STATSPACK accurate? can it be i have Oracle waiting 85 seconds on
> > average to read a block from a file?
> >
> > With each 24 hour snap I see similar and higher numbers, but always on
> > different files.
> >
> > Am beginning to think a problem with the storage array...
> >
> > All disk files are on EMC disks using PowerPath an SRDF.
> >

> Hi Charles,
>
> If you can measure with some accuracy average I/O times with a standard
> analogue watch (without the second hand) then I strongly suspect that
> something, somewhere is amiss.
>
> Cheers ;)
>
> Richard

Thank you, all.

We now strongly suspect EMC's PowerPath driver. A fix we just got describes how the driver can get into a deadlock state and possibly hang-up for long periods of time. This could explain the outrageous numbers I am seeing.

Thank you everyone for the kind help. I appreciate it.

Charlie Received on Wed May 05 2004 - 13:07:35 CDT