Re: Database link from PC to Oracle7 on OpenVMS7.1 (ODBC or another solution)

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.verwijderdit.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 19:20:42 +0200

On 5 May 2004 01:52:53 -0700, gerard.rokx_at_niixx.com (Gerard Rokx) wrote:

>We have the following configuration:
>- AlphaServer800
>- OpenVMS Version 7.1
>- Oracle7 Server Release 7.3.2.3.2
>- Nectar 6.2.2 (character based GUI on VT terminals)
>
>We want to phase out Nectar and the VT terminals by using PC's and a
>VB.NET application. So we need a database link (ODBC driver or another
>solution) from a Windows platform (client) to the Oracle7 database on
>OpenVMS (server). The minimum Windows platform is 98, however
>preferable is XP/Pro.
>
>Which kind of software components (on the PC and AlphaServer platform)
>do we need and where can we buy these components?
>

>Thanks,
>Gerard Rokx
>NiiXX
>The Netherlands

Please notice some sad facts
- Oracle 7.3.2 has been desupported in 1998, so SIX years ago - Preferably you would need sqlnet v2 drivers, which never have been developed for any of the platforms you mention. You shouldn't only phase out Nectar and VT Terminals, you should also phase out Oracle 7.3.2 asap.
So currently the best interface for you consists of flat files.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA