Re: What so special about PostgreSQL and other RDBMS?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 09:07:14 -0700

rkusenet wrote:
> "Dusan Bolek" <pagesflames_at_usa.net> wrote in message news:1e8276d6.0405042216.779e50c6_at_posting.google.com...
>

>>Yes, you've got the point. Behind both of these models (outsourcing
>>and free soft) is the idea that the quality is not important, the only
>>thing that matter are costs and their cuts.

> This isn't about the subject of this thread, but it got me curious.
>
> Are you suggesting that outsourcing to India means reduction in quality.
> I am asking this because what is believed is the other way, that is,
> outsourcing to India means better quality work. There was an article
> in eweek "time to debunk myth that indian programmers are better".
> I will post the link later. Don't have it now.

It depends. For somethings outsourcing to India provides both quality and quantity for a lower cost. For other things ... for example corporations trying to lower costs by outsourcing internal app developement it is definitely a case of lower quality and poorer implementations.

The thing that must be remembered is that many, if not most, IT projects fail not due to the quality of the developers (though many are marginal) but rather due to the lack of clear well written specifications. If the same specs were handed to me as are sent to Bangalore ... I could easily beat the Indians at their own game: Delivering better quality at the same cost in less time.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu