Re: Index maintenance...

From: Marc Blum <blum_at_marcblum.de>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 18:02:55 +0200

On Wed, 5 May 2004 11:22:04 +0200, "Volker Hetzer" <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org> wrote:

>Hi!
>We've got a consultant (for a canned app) here who just hinted at a possible performance improvement
>if one recreates the indexes after a big load.

Possibly the consultant had in mind an unclear picture of this typical massload scenario:

LOOP over all indexes

   set index to UNUSABLE
END LOOP DO THE LOAD! yeah... APPEND it

LOOP over all indexes

   rebuild index NOLOGGING COMPUTE STATISTICS bla END LOOP and forgot the first loop?

--
Marc Blum
mailto:blumNOSPAM_at_marcblum.de