Re: What so special about PostgreSQL and other RDBMS?

From: rkusenet <rkusenet_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 09:34:42 -0400

<sybrandb_at_yahoo.com> wrote :-

> Evident you are mislead by the 'Free is better' religion and you don't
> care for robustness and stability. Otherwise you wouldn't state MySQL
> will give all commercial RDBMS a run for their money.

If 'freeware' Linux can give a run for their money to Windows / Solaris, why not mysql. Why do people have to associate instability with every freeware product.
Mysql has some other problems for me. Its SQL is not ANSI standard, at least in the stable version. Plus lack of support for correlated subquery etc (in stable version) makes it hard to write SQL. MYsql is fixing it and once they iron it out in their next stable version, I will consider them seriously. It is just a question of time.

BTW Mysql is no longer free (non profit organization can still get it for free). Received on Wed May 05 2004 - 08:34:42 CDT