Re: Index maintenance...

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 20:30:14 +1000

Volker Hetzer wrote:

> Hi!
> We've got a consultant (for a canned app) here who just hinted at a possible performance improvement
> if one recreates the indexes after a big load.
> He said he noticed an improvement but didn't run any benchmarks. He used 8.1.something and 9.0.something.
> We are using 9.2.0.4.
> So, what's behind this?
> Does this apply to us too?
>
> Lots of Greetings!
> Volker

It is always possible you've got a rogue index and that a rebuild might result in a measurable performance boost. It is, though, rather unlikely. In general, indexes don't need rebuilding, and doing so doesn't improve performance. In general, that is.

Without benchmarks to prove the point, I would think that wishful thinking is what is actually behind it.

Without benchmarks, the assertion by your consultant is meaningless.

Regards
HJR Received on Wed May 05 2004 - 05:30:14 CDT