Re: Object required for (Wscript.sleep 15000)

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 10:19:26 +0200

benazir wrote:
> Dear Howard,
>
> I got your backup code from the Dizwell web site.
> It seems a very good way to perform backup via macro but it may
> contains some bug,which one can found initially when it run through
> the Excel.
>
> For Example:
> When we run the following macro in Excel, we got errors like:
>
> 1. Object required for (Wscript.sleep 15000)
> 2. Object required for (Wscript.Echo "Not in Archivelog Mode! Hot
> Backups not possible! Aborting!")
> 3. File Not found (strArchive = "arcchk.txt) (Set objArchive =
> objFS.OpenTextFile(strArchive, 1, 0)

Benazir, I'm sorry to say that, but your mail shows that you don't understand the tools you are using and I fear that may include the database.

Please do yourself a favour and register at http://otn.oracle.com. (Registration is free) You will find an overwhelming mass of documentation including the Concepts Guide and several books targeted on backup and recovery. Read and understand them (from cover to cover).

The funny thing is, that many people will somehow get a backup skript going they grabbed off some website; but the will constantly fail to ever test if they actually can recover *without* loss of data.

The investment you do today is about 5 minutes, but it might help help you to keep your job when disaster strikes in a few weeks/months/years. It's even possible that you'll learn how to prevent most disasters in the first place (by using that grey mass that sits between your ears ;-) ).

Regards,

Holger Received on Wed May 05 2004 - 03:19:26 CDT