Re: What so special about PostgreSQL and other RDBMS?

From: <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 5 May 2004 00:49:07 -0700

"rkusenet" <rkusenet_at_sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:<c79fr5$1bi40$1_at_ID-75254.news.uni-berlin.de>...

> You are right that MySQL has a far better record than PostgreSQL
> and IMO they will give all commercial RDBMS a run for their money.
>
> I can only spell PostgreSQL. So I can't name any installations
> of PostgreSQL.
>
> > There ... gave you five more for free. If you've got something to
> > talk about ... name names ... otherwise stop promoting freeware
> > as though it was worth more than its price.
>
> Freeware also includes MySQL. (actually they are no longer free
> for profit oriented corporations)

Evident you are mislead by the 'Free is better' religion and you don't care for robustness and stability. Otherwise you wouldn't state MySQL will give all commercial RDBMS a run for their money. If you would honestly compare the architecture of Oracle (and most other commercial RDBMSes) and you would be frank, you would have to admit MySQL is a toy. Nothing more, nothing less.
Evidently, there are too many people around in the field, who never *learned* to develop robust applications and databases, and who mainly deliver software which is hacked together. Of course, this mentality perfectly suits the Open Source Community. I wouldn't want to be in anyone shoes if your silly assertion becomes true, because that means the bean counters have finally won, and are going to ruin their own employers by trading in robust, stable and scalable software like Oracle for toys like MySQL.

Also, you are evidently being dishonest, and contradicting yourself. You both don't know any PostgreSQL, while you hail it as being better than Oracle, and you label MySQL as free software, and in the same phrase you have to admit MySQL isn't true. I would take better care before you start accusing people here.

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Wed May 05 2004 - 02:49:07 CDT