Re: What so special about PostgreSQL and other RDBMS?

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 4 May 2004 23:16:15 -0700

"rkusenet" <rkusenet_at_sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:<c78quu$136n3$1_at_ID-75254.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> Your attitude reminds me of the attitude Americans had towards outsourcing
> some 4/5 yrs ago. At that time all they could do is to arrogantly dismiss
> outsourcing as unsustainable model. We all know what happened to them today.

Yes, you've got the point. Behind both of these models (outsourcing and free soft) is the idea that the quality is not important, the only thing that matter are costs and their cuts. And you're also true that freeware alternatives will earn their place. In the world where CIO is one year temp job and the best thing on CIO's CV is cutting cost to 10% and sack off 80% of internal staff because of outsourcing to India, in this world free databases are very tempting way to go. Of course, the outcome will be lowered availability, higher maintenance costs, security problems and damaged business reputation, but who gave a f*ck, we saved 90% of our internal IT budget.

--
Dusan Bolek

Email: spambin_at_seznam.cz
Pls add "Not Guilty" to the subject, otherwise your email is going to
be burnt as a SPAM.