Re: Backup trends (2): HOT or COLD

From: Paul Brewer <nothing_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 19:31:14 +0100

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:406e65bd$0$4543$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...
> It's taken a while, but I think more and more people are coming to the
> conclusion that RMAN is not only a viable backup and recovery tool, but is
> actually rather good these days. (If you're still stuck on 8.0, I can
> understand your reluctance to use it rather better!).

I think that's hit the nail on the head. IMHO the problem is that when Oracle first brought it out it was ill thought out, arcane and only worked with a small number of tape drives (sorry, Larry!).

When I first saw it ('97?) I must confess I mentally wrote it off.

But having looked at it again in the last year or two I have traversed the road from Damascus. I'll be in a meeting tomorrow to discuss options for an environment which ideally (though not of absolute necessity) will wish for 24*7. Rather than custom hot backup scripts, I'll be recommending RMAN. It's more robust, easier to manage, and will reduce the volume of data being sent daily to the offsite backup server too.

My $0.02.

Paul Received on Wed May 05 2004 - 13:31:14 CDT