Re: What so special about PostgreSQL and other RDBMS?

From: Volker Hetzer <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 19:33:57 +0200

"Sarah Tanembaum" <sarah.tanembaum_at_yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:c78jfi$vomj$1_at_ID-205437.news.uni-berlin.de...
> Beside its an opensource and supported by community, what's the fundamental
> differences between PostgreSQL and those high-price commercial database (and
> some are bloated such as Oracle) from software giant such as Microsoft SQL
> Server, Oracle, and Sybase?
>
> Is PostgreSQL reliable enough to be used for high-end commercial
> application? Thanks

No idea. What I like about oracle is the tools, especially rman and the wizards and also the support. Paying for something gives me power over the guy I pay. Also, I like to have lots of little screws to tailor my database to the specific hardware and load profile.

Lots of Greetings!
Volker Received on Tue May 04 2004 - 12:33:57 CDT