Re: 10g Windows registry ORACLE_HOME

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 15:03:13 +0100

"Connor McDonald" <hamcdc_at_yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:4090FE9D.3B7F_at_yahoo.co.uk...
> Tom wrote:
> >
> > I installed 10g on a Windows server, and the ORACLE_HOME registry
> > entry is located in the key HKLM/Oracle/Software/KEY_<homename>. How
> > can a program get the value of the current ORACLE_HOME if I have
> > multiple homes installed? There's no way to know which KEY_<homename>
> > to look at.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Tom
>
> Typically directly under the ORACLE key, or the ALL_HOMES key will be
> some information about the default home

Hi Connor,

Having 8170,9010,9205 and 1010 on the same laptop tends to concentrate the mind somewhat :(

This machine has an ORACLE_HOME entry under HKLM\Software\ORACLE set to "c:\oracle\ora92" with a corresponding ORACLE_HOME_NAME of OraHome92 It has an entry DEFAULT_HOME under HKLM\Software\ORACLE\ALL_HOMES set to "OraHome92"
The HOME0 entry key which is for the 92 home has an entry for ORACLE_SID set to the 92 instance.

Pretty clear to anyone inspecting the registry - the current oracle home is for 92.

Naturally the actual Oracle home - in the sense of the one whose executables will start and which database you connect to if you don't specify a SID is the 10.1 home and associated db.

It maybe that I never had an entirely clear grip on which key was actually in effect, but it seems to me that Tom is basically right, by inspecting the registry you will learn nothing more than what Oracle homes you have (or indeed may have had in the past since uninstall doesn't always work either) on a windows server. Inspecting the path envvar will help if you have followed OFA to the extent of having Oracle somewhere in the install directory. What happens if you decide that a good install location for Oracle is D:\DBSoftware\10 is anybody's guess. In short ISTM that the whole business of setting environment variables on Windows is broken in 10. (I'd argue it was stuffed in 9i and before as well but hey).

In short I *think* that the appropriate thing to do now if you insist upon multiple versions on the same box is to

  1. have a shell script that sets the path to whatever you want.
  2. use the CLI and manually set any envvars first.

The caveat is of course that I haven't tried all tools from all versions under this setup - sqlplus always works though :)

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA