Re: 9i cluster to stand alone

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 20:01:15 +1000

Chris Willis wrote:

> I need to migrate my Oracle 9i cluster installation to a stand alone
> server to de-commision the cluster. If I take the cluster down and
> build my stand alone machine with same name & IP etc can I just
> restore the Oracle Data or are there issues with migrating from
> cluster to stand alone?

Well, there *ought* to be lots of issues, if you'd built a clustered database correctly in the first place!

For example, you'll have a spare undo tablespace which you can get rid of. A spare redo thread to dispose of, and so on. CLUSTER_DATABASE in the spfile/init.ora should be set to NO.

You may well have used ASSM when the thing was a cluster, and my advice is not to when you're not clustered, so those tablespaces would need to be rebuilt and all the segments moved to non-ASSM tablespaces.

If you're not using ASSM, you've probably got multiple freelists for your segments, and multiple freelist groups. Those are now redundant in a non-clustered environment, and so on.

Sequences may have been created as cached but not ordered (depends on your Oracle version) because ordering and cacheing wasn't possible until 10g. Maybe they need to change.

In short, yes... there are a lot of things which may need looking at after the change.

Regards
HJR Received on Tue May 04 2004 - 05:01:15 CDT