Re: Oracle Report Generator - SPAMMERS needed

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 3 May 2004 17:46:14 -0700

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<40947182$0$442$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> Daniel Morgan wrote:
>
> > Alex Molochnikov wrote:
> >
> >> Hello everyone,
> >>
> >> We are looking for beta-testers for our new product - Scribe Report
> >> Generator. At the moment, Scribe supports 5 relational databases,
> >> including
> >> MS SQL Server 2000, Sybase and Oracle.
> >>
> >> Alex Molochnikov
> >> SPAM Corporation
> >

> > Your posting to c.d.o.marketplace was appropriate. Your postings
> > to these three usenet groups off-topic spam.
>
> Well, so you say... but personally, I can't be monitoring 4 newsgroups.
> This one is quite enough! And I rather appreciated hearing here about
> something which may or may not be useful to my clients, and with what
> seems to me to be a totally upfront and fair offer of a freebie licence
> for beta testers. Call me gullible, if you like. Of course, one wonders
> about the Corporation's *name*, and I hope it's not what it sounds like
> (I smell fake email addresses being invented, just to be on the safe
> side). But that aside...
>
> It is also clearly Oracle-related, at least in part, and thus falls (as
> far as I am concerned) into the same category as me including
> www.dizwell.com in my signature (whenever I can remember to use one) or
> Jonathan letting us know about his next seminar dates.

Well, Jonathan abuses his .sig, but that's ok, since few in the group are .sig nazis. It is long established usenet practice going back to before the commercialization of the net that having a bit of commercial in a .sig was acceptable. At that time, there _were_ .sig nazis who would throw a flaming dogpile on .sigs over four lines. It made a little more sense at that time since most newsreaders automatically appended a .sig, so it was generally was a static thing that would be on every post.

> He's not offering a job, or charging us for the privilege of being beta
> testers, and I don't therefore think this falls under the category of
> "marketing", where .marketplace would indeed be the appropriate venue.

You might want to google my postings on this, in summary I think the charter simply isn't clear enough. Although I think Daniel's position is extreme, I think it is both understandable and useful.

> Personally, I feel it is not particularly helpful to jump on people
> offering Oracle information/applications/tools/information but where no
> cash is changing hands, which you do a lot. Such posts are a lot less of
> an inconvenience than, oh I dunno... say, "please read the
> documentation" ones.

I agree. I think we should allow them and tear them apart like rabid junkyard dogs when they say something insupportable, and laugh at them while we are at it.

> Regardless of that, in any case, this isn't a moderated group, USENET
> is, er, "vibrant" at the best of times, and we are all quite capable of
> ignoring spam when we see it. I don't think we really need a policeman
> doing the traffic control for us, actually.

Here I disagree, and it is exactly why I support Daniel in his netcop efforts. Unmoderated groups can go downhill amazingly fast, and policing is _necessary_. We need to not only support those who are willing to do it, we need to agree on clear and consistent guidelines.  TINC is an old joke on usenet, but somehow we need to interpret the charter and the feelings of the group in a manner to head off problems as quickly as possible. That is what a newsgroup FAQ is for.

> > Please pay attention to usenet rules and stop spamming. Just because
> > you can spell the name of a usenet group does not mean posting to it
> > is appropriate.

There's always http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=37a785d0.1128228777%40newsfeed.sexzilla.net&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain Meow.

jg

--