Re: Doing some housekeeping -- is this legit?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 3 May 2004 14:15:30 -0700

Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote in message news:<j7jc90thkp22d54p08j1q82krp6p1p8578_at_4ax.com>...
> On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 23:07:14 +1000, "Howard J. Rogers"
> <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote:
>
> >Ed Stevens wrote:

> >> Well, I'm not planning on moving anything just yet, if at all. I was
> >> really looking for some more serious issues, like obvous user tables,
> >> but was mildly surprised to find these segments in there. I just
> >> checked an 8.1 db I created a couple of weeks ago on a Solaris system.
> >> I created it using DBCA (or whatever it was called in 8.1) and the
> >> only thing I did post-creation was change the default tablespaces for
> >> all users (which were all created under DBCA). That DB has 48
> >> segments owned by either OUTLN or SYSTEM that are in the SYSTEM
> >> tablespace.
> >
> >It's been that way for ages and ages (well, OUTLN was only invented in
> >8i, but you get my point!).
> >
> >Put it this way, the only two users that absolutely have to exist
> >regardless of version from the word go in every Oracle database are SYS
> >and SYSTEM. Likewise, the only tablespace that positively has to exist,
> >regardless of version, is SYSTEM. It's therefore not a major surprise
> >(or drama, frankly) that SYSTEM (the user)'s tables end up being stored
> >inside SYSTEM (the tablespace) -and have done so since time immemorial.
> >
> >Regards
> >HJR
>
> But I would assume that it is still considered 'best practice' to
> alter SYSTEM's (the user) default TS as soon as you get the database
> on it's feet, to prevent the prevent the inadvertent introduction of
> other (mostly very non-essential) segments into the SYSTEM ts?

Since SYSTEM has some objects that are "strange" (ie, put together in a way that is not recommended for user objects), I'd say the best practice is to leave it alone and just be sure other stuff isn't put there. An application can wind up with lots of stuff in the SYSTEM ts, since that is where stuff that applies to the whole system goes (like the underlayment to DBA views). This tends to be a problem if you have an app that has a gigantic number of extents and uses dictionary tablespaces, but that winds up being the exception to deal with if necessary.

In the V7 time frame I saw a number of sites that would, not knowing any better, put user stuff in the system ts, and usually there were enough things wrong to justify creating a new db from scratch.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Aldous Huxley was an optimist: