How to create a view containin a lblob column

From: Prem K Mehrotra <premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 3 May 2004 12:36:58 -0700

I have following table containing a blob column:

SQL> desc ltr_body;

 ----------------------------------------- -------- ----------------------------
 LTR_ID                                    NOT NULL VARCHAR2(20)
 LTR_DESC_TXT                                       VARCHAR2(300)
 LTR_BODY_TXT                                       BLOB
 ADD_DT                                             DATE
 ADD_OPER_ID                                        VARCHAR2(25)
 UPDT_DT                                            DATE
 UPDT_OPER_ID                                       VARCHAR2(25)

I want to define a view:

sqlplus login/password << !
create or replace view vltr_body as

select LTR_ID, LTR_DESC_TXT, blob_uncompress(read(LTR_BODY_TXT) ltr_body_txt, ADD_DT, ADD_OPER_ID, UPDT_DT, UPDT_OPER_ID from ltr_body;

!
I get following error:
 SP2-0678: Column or attribute type can not be displayed by SQL*Plus

Is there any way to define a view, so that I can apply my user written function to a column which is blob type. Received on Mon May 03 2004 - 14:36:58 CDT