Re: oracle scan log script

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 14:22:11 -0500

On Mon, 03 May 2004 19:28:01 +0200, Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl> wrote:

>On Mon, 03 May 2004 09:22:53 -0500, Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
>wrote:
>
>>On 30 Apr 2004 19:50:13 -0700, tpreto7_at_sapo.pt (Teresa) wrote:
>>
>>>Hello
>>>
>>>Does any one have a general script that scans the oracle logs? I'm
>>>looking for a script that can scan the alert.log etc
>>>Thanks!
>>>Teresa
>>

>>OS?
>>
>>On unix --
>>
>>cat alert.log | grep 'ORA-'
>>

>>On Win --
>>
>>find /I "ORA-" alert.log
>>

>>That's the guts of it. I leave redirect to an output log, changing
>>the value being scanned for, etc. as an exercise for the student.
>
>I have to disagree. That won't capture many, many warnings and
>messages, including 'Cannot allocate log, archival required'

True, but then it wasn't intended as a complete solution, just a demo of the core of a searching script -- the/a search itself.

Even so . . . or especially so . . . twenty lashes for me with a wet noodle. I first assumed the OP could figure out what do do with those minimal commands, but on reflection I realize that if they knew enough to grow that into a fully functional script, they probably already knew what I gave them, as well.

What I *should * have done was ask them what was the problem they were really trying to solve ... what it was they wanted the script to be looking for and how they wanted the output to be presented and what they were expecting to do with the output. I'll correct that with another follow-up directly to the OP. Received on Mon May 03 2004 - 14:22:11 CDT