Re: Help with query...

From: Andrew Metcalfe <chicagoandy_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 3 May 2004 11:36:22 -0700

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1083563897.530200_at_yasure>...
> Andrew Metcalfe wrote:
>
> Does your Oracle installation have a version number?

8.1.7

> Are statistics current?

No. I figured this out last night. This is problematic.

I've tried a "analyze table compute statistics", but this took an unreasonable amount of time... I eneded up killing the session so I could try something else.

The table has 7 million records. Whats a reasonable amount of time to wait?

> Were they created with DBMS_STATS?

No.

> On tables only or on tables and indexes?
> What is the setting for optimizer_index_cost_adj?

Default is 100, I believe. My init.ora doesn't reference this setting.

> What is the stting for optimizer_index_caching?

> Do you have your data types correct?

Yes.

> What percentage of the rows in the table will this retrieve?

30,000 of 7 million - 0.0043%

_Am Received on Mon May 03 2004 - 13:36:22 CDT