Re: indexes reserve too much extents

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 12:31:04 -0500

On Mon, 3 May 2004 16:47:50 +0200, "Frederic Hoornaert" <Frederic.Hoornaert_at_transics.nospam.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm having some questions about the space oracle has allocated to my indexes :

<snip>
>This table has 30 indices which use 1.024.000 blocks => 7,8 Gb

<snip>

30 indexes on a single table? It's reasonable to assume that as you add more indexes to a table, you'll actually reach a point where the indexes require more space than the table itself. And become a performance drag during OLTP operations, as all those indexes have to be maintained for every INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE.

I leave specific analysis of your usage to others . . . . Received on Mon May 03 2004 - 12:31:04 CDT