Re: Oracle Report Generator - SPAMMERS needed

From: Ed prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com>
Date: 3 May 2004 10:30:12 -0700

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<40947182$0$442$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> Daniel Morgan wrote:
>
> > Alex Molochnikov wrote:
> >
> >> Hello everyone,

[snip - I don't like to give him any more add space]

> >> Alex Molochnikov
> >> SPAM Corporation
> >

> > Your posting to c.d.o.marketplace was appropriate. Your postings
> > to these three usenet groups off-topic spam.
>
> Well, so you say... but personally, I can't be monitoring 4 newsgroups.
> This one is quite enough!

Which ONE is that, since you left the cross posting to three ORACLE groups??

So you cannot be bothered reading another group and therefore the rest of us must suffer wading thru junk postings? Rather selfish logic don't you think?

>.......            And I rather appreciated hearing here about

> something which may or may not be useful to my clients, and with what
> seems to me to be a totally upfront and fair offer of a freebie licence
> for beta testers. Call me gullible, if you like.

Now maybe if there were questions FROM USERS or POTENTIAL USERS about how the tool performed, it might go in the c.d.o.tools group. But the offer, free or not, really belongs in the marketting group. Deal with it.

>.........           Of course, one wonders

> about the Corporation's *name*, and I hope it's not what it sounds like
> (I smell fake email addresses being invented, just to be on the safe
> side). But that aside...

yes one HAS to wonder.

> It is also clearly Oracle-related, at least in part, and thus falls (as
> far as I am concerned) into the same category as me including
> www.dizwell.com in my signature (whenever I can remember to use one) or
> Jonathan letting us know about his next seminar dates.

We've gone over this MANY times. Have you just now started read these groups?
A .sig is not in the same category as the start of this thread.

> He's not offering a job, or charging us for the privilege of being beta
> testers, and I don't therefore think this falls under the category of
> "marketing", where .marketplace would indeed be the appropriate venue.

Sorry, but you are in the minority on this point.

> Personally, I feel it is not particularly helpful to jump on people
> offering Oracle information/applications/tools/information but where no
> cash is changing hands, which you do a lot.

It's not about the money. when will you see that?

>...........          Such posts are a lot less of

> an inconvenience than, oh I dunno... say, "please read the
> documentation" ones.

You mean the REPLIES to students that want others to do their homework when that haven't even gone to the trouble of doing a google search??

> Regardless of that, in any case, this isn't a moderated group, USENET
> is, er, "vibrant" at the best of times, and we are all quite capable of
> ignoring spam when we see it. I don't think we really need a policeman
> doing the traffic control for us, actually.
>
> Regards
> HJR
>

> > Please pay attention to usenet rules and stop spamming. Just because
> > you can spell the name of a usenet group does not mean posting to it
> > is appropriate.
> >
> > Thank you.

Yes, the group is unmoderated, so no one is cancelling his post, or yours.

We do need to speak out on junk postings since that is the primary way for newcomers to get a sense of whats appropriate and what's not appropriate. Few seem to read the newusers groups anymore. If we do not try to educate others about what's on-topic, this will eventually degenerate into something closer to an AOL chatroom, where any topic is is okay. Newsgroups are arranged into topics for a reason.

And as I've pointed out (also MANY times), each group forms it's own culture about off topic posts. It does so thru discussion like this. Right now the consensus is that commercial postings, even FREE offers, belong in the marketplace group. Daniel's posting is there to educate Mr. Molochnikov. He can chose to learn from it or not. My posting here is to hopefully persuade you that marketplace is the appropriate place for his ad. You now have a choice too.

Have a good day.

   Ed

(Posting from google I don't have a sig. but normally it would list my company name, Magic Interface, Ltd. and contact information. We do ORACLE consulting among many other technical services. You can find my regular sig with a search on google.) Received on Mon May 03 2004 - 12:30:12 CDT