Re: Help with query...

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 07:37:19 +0000 (UTC)

Note in-lin

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

June  2004      UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar
July 2004 USA West Coast, Optimising Oracle Seminar
August 2004 Charlotte NC, Optimising Oracle Seminar
September 2004 USA East Coast, Optimising Oracle Seminar
September2004 UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar

"Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net> wrote in message

> "Andrew Metcalfe" <chicagoandy_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > The following query is taking 10 minutes...
> >

> > SELECT a.*, b.id, t.tree_id
> > FROM tbla a, tblb b, node_tree t
> > where a.B_ID=b.id
> > and t.node_id = b.node_id
> > and h.fk1_id = '1030'
> >

> > node_tree.tree_id is fully indexed, but the optimizer is ignoring
> > it....?

Not only (as Jim points out) do you have an alias in the WHERE clause that does not reference any of the aliases given in the table, the column that you describe as fully indexed doesn't appear in the where clause either.
> > Why would the optimiser skip a perfectly good index, and do a full
> > tablescan against such a huge table?

The fact that a column is indexed doesn't make it a perfectly good index. How many different values are there, what does the clustering factor look like, is it unique or non-unique, what are the recorded low and high values. see http://www.dbazine.com/jlewis12.shtml for further ideas.