Re: Oracle Report Generator - beta testers needed

From: Alex Molochnikov <NOBODY_at_NOSPAM.COM>
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 07:02:38 GMT

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:40946eef$0$1990$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...
> A minor suggestion from the outset... there is no indication of the
> download sizes on your download page. Personal, without Java, is a
> whopping 16.8MB. Not all of us are on broadband where such a size would
> be considered peanuts, so some of us like to know what we're getting
> before we try and get it!

Point taken. We will add the file sizes to the page after the weekend. As for the large file size - not much can be done about this, unfortunately. About 6Mb is eaten by the Help documentation included into the download bundle. Another 4Mb is used up by third-party libraries for graphics, PDF generation, etc. Scribe is a pretty large system, as you will see.

Later on we may consider offering the CD equivalent of the download. Only problem is that we will have to charge a nominal fee for the postage and medium, somewhat defeating the idea of not having to pay for something on the "site unseen" basis.

> But I will plod on nonetheless.

Which, along with a feedback of any polarity, will be much appreciated.

Another (small) point: you will be asked to register for the demo license by providing your e-mail address to which the license key will be automatically sent. Technically, the program will connect to our server over port 80 using the HTTP protocol (like a web browser). Since one poster already accused me of spamming, I would like to defuse possible fears upfront: we at Gestalt are not trying to plant a spyware into your computer (which would be somewhat cumbersome to do in Java, anyway). However, if you are still concerned, you can refuse the automatic registration and instead mail us (to the address shown in my original post) the file from your installation directory called "user.license". We will be able to manually generate the working license key for you from this file.

Finally, the offer of a free fully-enabled license as a gratitude for the constructive feedback still stands.

> Regards
> HJR
Alex Molochnikov
Gestalt Corporation