Re: admin: can this disgusting stuff be deleted?

From: Clive Eisen <clive_at_serendipita.com>
Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 21:49:05 +0100

Brad Kunkel wrote:
snip

. What I guess I don't get is why it's not organized; not a
> central authority but a code of ethics. If Usenet ever becomes mainstream,
> governments will likely get involved and screw it up.

It's not organised for historical reasons. Maybe you aren't old enough to remember when WAN connections were

a) Slow
b) Expensive
c) Mostly dialup
d) Rare

Info was distributed once to a server near you and then read by local users. News was one way that this happened, and you just got your news from your upstream server who got it from their upstream server ..... a long way upstream servers co-operated to make sure that all messages were copied everywhere. Depending on the route to you messages would get hoplesly out of sync, which is one reason why threaded newsclient were created

Because server A would serve sever B through Z and vice versa depending which host got a particular message first it became almost mandetory to carry all messages/groups ( sometimes excluding binary groups because disk was EXPENSIVE) and some of the porn groups, even if you didn't have local users subscribed to some of those groups, because others depended on your feed.

HTH Received on Sat May 01 2004 - 15:49:05 CDT