Re: W2000 connect / as sysdba problem

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 08:13:01 +1000

Andrew wrote:
> Guys
> I found the problem and this is probably why this issue is so
> "popular"
> I have domain account on my laptop which is member of ORA_DBA group.
>
> Consider simple test I did:
>
> 1. I deleted instance
> oradim -delete -sid XXX
>
> 2. changed
> remote_login_passwordfile = NONE
>
> 3. Created instance
> oradim -new -sid XXX -startmode manual -pfile XXX.ora
>
> 4. sqlplus /nolog
> SQL> connect / as sysdba
> Connected to an idle instance.
> i.e. works just fine
>
> 5. then!!! I unplug network cable from my laptop, so there is no
> connection to domain and...
>
> SQL> connect / as sysdba
> ERROR:
> ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
>
> 6. then!!! I plug cabple back in and
> SQL> connect / as sysdba
> Connected to an idle instance.
> i.e. works just fine again
>
> So it needs connection to donain to authenticate.

Patently obviously. You can't use "O/S authentication" unless you can contact the O/S that's doing the authentication, which in your case is the domain controller. How else do you check the membership of a domain group??

And next time you post, perhaps you'd give the full details so we don't waste time trying to diagnose a situation (your laptop) which isn't actually the situation at all (a client of a domain not actually connected to the domain).

HJR Received on Fri Apr 30 2004 - 17:13:01 CDT