Re: Help with recovery

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 30 Apr 2004 13:28:16 -0700

"Anurag Varma" <avdbi_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<be5kc.123238$M3.51583_at_twister.nyroc.rr.com>...
> "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:4090a109$0$674$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...
> --snip--
> >
> > Ah, but you cheated! You did a delete, which can certainly be
> > flashbacked from (I hate the grammar, but hopefully you know what I
> > mean!). The original poster didn't say, but you can't flashback past DDL
> > commands (until 10g, anyway) -so if his problem was that the original
> > table was dropped, rather than bulk-deleted, flashback in 9i isn't going
> > to help him any.
> >
> > As a general point, though, the idea that flashback can help us avoid
> > the need to perform incomplete recoveries is an extremely important one.
> >
> > Regards
> > HJR
>
> True :)
>
> If I had done a truncate/drop .. I couldn't have flashbacked.
> Though a lot of user errors revolve around deletes/updates gone bad.
> So I thought I'll throw in that example ... just in case.
>
> Anurag

I thought 10g had a recycle bin for that... http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B13789_01/server.101/b10759/statements_9003.htm#sthref6370

Oracle must be in cahoots with disk drive manufacturers with all these newfangled features.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
What happens to companies that use every H1B and outsourcing trick in