Re: Oracle Portals

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 30 Apr 2004 13:08:23 -0700

"Mill" <mill.h_at_ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<Yz3kc.712$7S2.170_at_newsfe1-win>...
> Hi
>
> Thanks for the reply, can i use the 10g portals even though my db version is
> 8i ?

According to O support, you can't use 8i for the portal repository, and you have to use dblinks to access a db outside of the repository. Some discussion in their ranks as to whether dblinks may lead to performance issues, as well as ORA-2080 bugs. They recommend using repca to install the metadata repository in a 9+ db, but of course repca is not available on Windows yet.

So the answer is "yes, we support it, but..."

In addition, 9iASR2 suggested a topology like this: http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10573_06/install.902/install/concepts.htm#1118323 which seems to have gone away in 10g:
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10468_03/install.904/install/infra.htm#CHDFIHBD

hmmmm... I don't know whether to read that as "we discovered the performance is really bad so let's hope no one notices" or "now that we have repca it would be pointless to even talk about it, no one we care about would still be on 8i."

> "Joel Garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message
> > "Mill" <mill.h_at_ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > not sure if this is the right place to post such thing, sorry if it
> isn't.
> > >
> > > I am looking to develop our ERP system which is based on Oracle 8i
> > > (windows), i wish to create a web front
> > > end for part of the screens, similar to the Oracle 10g portals. is this
> > > possible if so how ?
> > >
> > > Can this be done by using Apache for instance
> > >

> > > Thanks
> >
> > I think you can do whatever you want with the 10g portals (I haven't
> > tried it yet). In 9iASR2 you simply made a whole lot of public
> > synonyms to the db data source IIRC. Install AS10g and start trying
> > it, check out the
> http://portalcenter.oracle.com/pls/ops/docs/FOLDER/COMMUNITY/DOCTEAM/902DOC/904_DOC_BUILDING_PORTLETS/UNDERSTANDING_PROVIDERS.PDF
> >
> > jg
> > --
> > @home.com is bogus.
> > "Fragmentation is bad in LMT." - Clueless person demo'ing performance
> > monitoring product.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.