Re: Index management

From: Daniel Roy <danielroy10junk_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 30 Apr 2004 12:39:35 -0700

> Are there supplied scripts, packages, or procedures that will find and
> rebuild existing index's? What I am really looking for is a script to
> be run to rebuild fragmented index's as needed.

You sound so much like an Oracle 7 DBA! First take a look at www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/table_frag.html, then take a look at the referenced Steve Adam's paper if you want more details. The only time that you should rebuild an index is if you notice that a specific SQL statement is significantly slowed down by index fragmentation. This probably won't ever be an issue if you use locally-managed tablespaces (preferably with "automatic" extent management, as opposed to uniform extent management).

HTH Daniel Received on Fri Apr 30 2004 - 14:39:35 CDT