Re: 10G database in Production

From: BTnews <mjones.satisdata_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 16:36:31 +0000 (UTC)

"Richard A Foote" <richard.foote_at_tbigpond.nospam.com> wrote in message news:FHskc.5329$TT.2562_at_news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> "Louis Cohen" <louiscohen_at_alum.mit.edu> wrote in message
> > Has anyone started using 10g in production on unix, especially HP-UX?
> > Or at least done a significant evaluation.
> >
> > I'm very interested in what you think of it in terms of
> > production-readiness - is it ready or should users wait for the next
> > release.
> >

> Hi Louis,
>
> We're at the very early stages of evaluation although there are a number
of
> new advancements with regard to Oracle Text that has various developers
> excited.
>
> However, Oracle doesn't exactly have a perfect record with it's first
> versions of major releases (think Oracle7, think Oracle8, think Oracle8i,
> think Oracle9i ...) and it would be a brave soul who would jump in too
> quickly with the first release of 10g ...
>
> Cheers
>
> Richard

Just got back from the 10g New Features for Administrators Course at OracleUK.

Overall pretty impressed. Would avoid ASM for a while though ! Still not entirely sure where
the real benefits come from for large shops using storage arrays such as EMC etc - better the
devil you know when it comes to the storage of data !

Got no prod databases up yet - test only. Received on Fri Apr 30 2004 - 11:36:31 CDT