fragmentation and index maintainence

From: DiggidyMack69 <DiggidyMack69_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 30 Apr 2004 07:01:59 -0700

Hello folks,
I am a longtime DB developer but have been doing alot more DBA (Oracle 8i) type responsabilities lately. One thing I am somewhat struggling on is the maintainence of indices. I have read many posts on fragmentation, most of which tell you to look in the data dictionary, and have been running queries against several of the system views including dba_indexes and index_stats.

I'm finding it strange that index_stats is empty even though I have computed stats for most application tables??

What are good rules of thumb to look at in regards to when looking for signs of fragmentation and other problems of the like? Received on Fri Apr 30 2004 - 09:01:59 CDT