Re: W2000 connect / as sysdba problem

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 23:16:22 +1000

Andrew wrote:

> Hi
> is it possible to see what's going on, i.e. why OS authentication is
> rejected from some log file? There is nothing in alert.log... I am
> using domain account which anyway is a member of ORA_DBA. An wierd
> thing that it worked some time ago but it doesn't work anymore...
>
> Andrew
>
> "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<4091f945$0$441$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
>

>>Kenneth Koenraadt wrote:
>>

>>>On 29 Apr 2004 21:52:23 -0700, myfam_at_surfeu.fi (Andrew) wrote:
>>
>>Regards
>>HJR

I wrote you a long reply, and then my Internet connection died, just as I hit the send button... I presume it's now gone to the great black hole in the sky somewhere.

Short version (because I can't remember all of the original!): you could try listener.log in ORACLE_HOME\network\log. It will at least show you the O/S username as received by the Listener, which may help a little. But otherwise, I can't think of anywhere this would be logged. The insufficient privieleges message is just the database doing its normal thing and authenticating people, so it's not an error state as such, and I wouldn't expect it therefore to actually ever be logged.

I'm a bit confused, because you mentioned originally, I think, that this was all taking place on your laptop... but now you're talking about domains and such like. Can you clarify the situation? Is this really all happening on one laptop, or is there a network and remote connections involved somewhere?

Which O/S are you using, again? Windows 2000 Professional, Server or what (again, with a domain being mentioned, there's got to be Server in there somewhere, but on a laptop???!) And if we are talking a remote connection, be clear about what the client is using and what the server is using. I think something's been lost (by me) in translation somewhere.

All I can tell you is that the test I showed Kenneth working was from an XP laptop running the 10g client connecting to a Windows 2000 Advanced Server running 9i release 2. SQLNET.ORA on the client was as I posted to Kenneth, remote_login_password was set to EXCLUSIVE, and the tnsnames.ora is stock-standard stuff (namely:

WIN92 =
   (DESCRIPTION =

     (ADDRESS_LIST =
       (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = mozart)(PORT = 1521))
     )
     (CONNECT_DATA =
       (SERVICE_NAME = win92.dizwell.local)
     )

   )

The listener.ora on the server has no weirdnesses in it, either (no Shared Server, for example). I log on to my laptop as a domain user, and that user account is indeed a member of the server's ORA_DBA group.

All of which you described as having done, so I'm not sure what else to suggest. Other than, perhaps, if it used to work and doesn't work any more, what changed in between??

Apologies if this duplicates somewhere.

Regards
HJR Received on Fri Apr 30 2004 - 08:16:22 CDT