Re: Building a test server

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:21:04 +0200

Johan Louwers wrote:

> I am planning to build a Oracle10G RDBMS "test" server to use while
> learning and trying to understand more of 10G. This is a private
> project what I will do at home.... So I have to build a server...
> cheap.... What do you think I should use so you can work with the
> system,.... there is no need fore high speed just a learning and
> trying box....
>
> I would like to run it with RED-HAT.....
>
> What do you think?
>

> Regards,
> Johan Louwers.

1st of all - you don't need to build a server; run it on your existing computer.
2nd: if you insist on getting a server, get a cheap offering (Aldi, serveral large computer shops), which will get you running for less than 500 Eur. Trade your screen for more memory, as mentioned before, 512 would be nice, 1G even nicer. Windows as well as Oracle love memory. You should be done for about 400.

The cheapest solution would be to do it on your existing one - perhaps add some memory?

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel