Re: W2000 connect / as sysdba problem

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 17:55:48 +1000

Kenneth Koenraadt wrote:
[snip]

> Hi Howard,
>
> Can't agree.
>
> It's true that you can "connect / as sysdba" even with
> remote_login_passwordfile =exclusive,
> but only as long as your user is a *LOCAL* W2K user.

Which is, of course, exactly the case for our original poster, since he's doing all of this on his laptop. So even if the rest of what you write is true, it's not of relevance to him, is it?

> If you logon to
> the server *remotely* with e.g. a Domain user account, which is also
> a member of the local ORA_DBA group you *won't* be able to "connect /
> as sysdba". I guess that's why it is called
> "remote_login_passwordfile" and not "local_login_passwordfile"

Well, since it's a remote connection, you won't be able to connect / as sysdba *at all* because there needs to be a tnsnames alias in there somewhere (somewhere I can never get right in any case: sqlplus "/@win92 as sysdba" isn't doing it for me!).

> The doc also states that you must set remote_login_passwordfile =NONE
> to use OS-authentication on W2k. The fact that a *local* user can
> somehow bypass it does not affect that.
>
> <quote>
> Set the REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE parameter to NONE in the
> INIT<SID>.ORA
> file. This parameter enables operating system authenticated
> logins for the
> INTERNAL user.
> </quote>

Yup, Oracle's course notes always said you had to set R_L_P to NONE too. But it isn't true. And this isn't a Windows thing, either, since I used to show my students the folly of the 'must set it to NONE' by doing exactly the same test as I showed in my last post, but on a Solaris box.

Regards
HJR Received on Fri Apr 30 2004 - 02:55:48 CDT