Re: Any thoughts?

From: Anna C. Dent <>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 20:11:22 -0700

john wrote:
> Sybrand Bakker <> wrote in message news:<>...

>>On 29 Apr 2004 04:14:53 -0700, (john) wrote:
>>>Anybody have any insight into the difference between the statistics
>>>'session logical reads' and 'consistent gets' + 'db block gets' at
>>>both the session and system level. Usually the logical reads is
>>>determined by consistent gets + db block gets, session logical reads
>>>does not always equal this value. I'm just wondering why and if
>>>there's any reason to use one over the other. I've seen it both ways
>>>but not really any explanation. Seems that both should be correct.
>>>Of course, if I've missed the answer already posted sometime before,
>>>that would be nice to know too.
>>>Thanks for any feedback
>>Please ask your friends at Tusc
>>They are theself-proclaimed  gurus, aren't they?

> Sybrand, I'm not looking for a fight here, I'm seeking information. If
> you have something to share, please do. We all have to work for
> somebody. I'm a senior DBA just like you. I'm seeing some strange
> results from my performance monitoring and I'm trying to track done
> the issue. The reason you've seen this twice is that I got nothing but
> flames the first time. I don't need flames, I'd like to discuss the
> technical issue at hand. I've always managed to get good answers here
> before I took the job and I hope to continue to get good answers here.
> John

 >I'd like to discuss the technical issue at hand.

I guess I am not paying close enough attention. What "techincal issue"?

It appears you are looking for definition/clarification WRT labels on a few metrics which are visible via V$ views. I've seen nothing of substance as to why these metrics are meaningful to anyone; including you.

A single data point does not indicate a trend. NO single metric is good or bad standing alone; without other metrics being considered.

EXACTLY what problem are you trying to solve and how would an independent observer know when it is solved? Received on Thu Apr 29 2004 - 22:11:22 CDT

Original text of this message