Re: Can Oracle save a tree?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 29 Apr 2004 18:00:01 -0700

"Jan Gelbrich" <j_gelbrich_at_westfalen-blatt.de> wrote in message news:<c6qp79$f66u1$1_at_ID-93924.news.uni-berlin.de>...

> snippage excluded...
> I am not being concerned, but I take this thread as
> yet another proof of a clash of civilizations ...

Disagree. A clash of civilizations presumes at the very least two of those. I refuse to grant there is one on the other side.

> I sometimes wonder
> why "they" even bother thinking about using a database at all ...

As much as it may be revolting to "them", the real world needs the option of storing data and retrieving it at a later stage. Something the 5-second-attention-span TV culture may find abhorrent and a deviation from "abstracting implementation details". Unfortunately for "them", it ain't gonna go away.

> if they are so cool, they should do their stuff and we ours.

"They" can't. As I've found out in the last 4 years or so that I've been dealing closely with "them": whenever asked to produce something beyond the not-so-ubiquitous shopping cart, the whole theory comes crashing down and "they" have to accept that the rest of the world doesn't necessarily get out of its way to accomodate "their" requirements. It's actually the other way around. So "they", albeit reluctantly, have to accept some sense. Instead of just assuming the rest of the world is watching in awe.

> (scratching my head)

I can't. There is too little hair left for me to indulge in that... :)

Cheers
Nuno Souto
wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam Received on Thu Apr 29 2004 - 20:00:01 CDT