Doing some housekeeping -- is this legit?

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:13:16 -0500

Oracle 8.1.7

Going back thru our db's, looking for violations of some common rules. It was almost universal that users 'dbsnmp', 'outln', and a few others created at db creation had their default and temp tablespaces still set to 'SYSTEM'. I corrected all of the temp tablespace violations and most of the default ones. Then I ran the following query agains all 90 databases . . .

select	owner,
	segment_name,
	segment_type
from	dba_segments
where	tablespace_name = 'SYSTEM'
  and	owner <> 'SYS'
order by owner,
	segment_type,
	segment_name

/

I was really surprised at what turned up ... User OUTLN had a few tables and index, all names beginning with OL$ User SYSTEM has a bunch of indexes, names beginning with AQ$, DEF$, PBSSYS*, and a bunch of LOBINDEX and LOBSEGMENT, names beginning with SYS_*, some tables beginning with REPCAT*,

I always thought that the only thing that should be in the SYSTEM tablespace is the objects owned by SYS. But it appears that,at least in some cases, these particular segments were created during DB creation, before one gets a chance to alter the defaults for these users.

SELECT comments
FROM ng_participants; Received on Thu Apr 29 2004 - 14:13:16 CDT