Re: Oracle Portals

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 29 Apr 2004 10:50:06 -0700

"Mill" <mill.h_at_ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<Yz3kc.712$7S2.170_at_newsfe1-win>...
> Hi
>
> Thanks for the reply, can i use the 10g portals even though my db version is
> 8i ?

I'm trying to figure out the same thing. I believe so, since it worked (easily, once you find metalink Note: 174618.1) in 9.0.2 and OAS10g is really OAS 9.0.4. One key issue is that you go through the portal database, which is database version 9.1.0.4 by default. So as far as portal is concerned, you are going through 9i and it shouldn't care. But there might be more involved with 10g, I don't know yet and am very interested in the answer. I posted the link to the database provider doc because there may be other ways of access more suited to your situation. Poke around on portalcenter, there are many getting started and tour docs.

> "Joel Garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message
> > "Mill" <mill.h_at_ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > not sure if this is the right place to post such thing, sorry if it
> isn't.
> > >
> > > I am looking to develop our ERP system which is based on Oracle 8i
> > > (windows), i wish to create a web front
> > > end for part of the screens, similar to the Oracle 10g portals. is this
> > > possible if so how ?
> > >
> > > Can this be done by using Apache for instance
> > >

> > > Thanks
> >
> > I think you can do whatever you want with the 10g portals (I haven't
> > tried it yet). In 9iASR2 you simply made a whole lot of public
> > synonyms to the db data source IIRC. Install AS10g and start trying
> > it, check out the
> http://portalcenter.oracle.com/pls/ops/docs/FOLDER/COMMUNITY/DOCTEAM/902DOC/904_DOC_BUILDING_PORTLETS/UNDERSTANDING_PROVIDERS.PDF
> >
> > jg
> > --
> > @home.com is bogus.
> > "Fragmentation is bad in LMT." - Clueless person demo'ing performance
> > monitoring product.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.  Policy-Of-Truth Award, online job posting
division:  "All employees must be born-again believers and adhere to